Current Position > Home > 正文
Preparations for coming to China
Jan 12, 2023

Preparations for coming to China

1. Go to local Chinese embassy to apply for study visa

Please make sure to apply for a study visa (X visa) for studying in China. The X1 visa is a long-term convertible visa and must be converted into a residence permit within 30 days after entering China. The X2 visa is a short-term non-convertible visa. A holder of such visa is only allowed to go to China and back once and stay in China for 180 days at most. Therefore, if you will study in China for more than 180 days, you need to apply for X1 visa (residence permit); if less than 180 days, you need to apply for X2 visa.

The materials for visa application usually include:

(1) One original and one photocopy of passport (Please make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months and has blank visa pages).

(2) One original and one photocopy of Application Form for Foreign Students Studying in China (JW 201/JW 202)

(3) One original and one photocopy of Admission Notice

For more details, please visit the following website:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China: http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/

China Consular Service: http://cs.mfa.gov.cn/wgrlh

*An international student must hold a Study Visa (X visa). If a Tourist visa ( L Visa) holder wants to convert it to study visa after he/she enters the country, he/she may be required to re-enter after leaving China. Therefore, this practice is not recommended.

2. Items you may need during your stay in China

(1) Electronic devices: laptop and accessories, power adaptor, AC adaptor, portable charger, etc. (The standard voltage in China is 220V. The picture below shows the standard power socket in China. Please bring your own voltage conversion devices.)


(2) Bedding: bed sheet, duvet cover, pillowcase, duvet, mattress, etc.

(3) Toiletries: slippers, bath towel, towel, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.

(4) Clothing: please refer to the weather in Lanzhou to make preparations (summer 12℃-26℃;winter-7℃-4℃).

(5) Fees: In addition to tuition fee, accommodation fee, registration fee and insurance fee, please prepare enough cash for the following items:

Bedding Items: 500 yuan

Physical Examination Fee: 400 yuan/time

Residence Permit Fee: 400 yuan/year

Textbook Fee: 400 yuan/year

(6) Common drugs: drugs for respiratory and digestive diseases, painkillers, anti-inflammatory drugs, moisturizer and so on.

In addition, according to the regulations of the Chinese government, opium, morphine, heroin, marijuana and other addictive narcotic drugs and psychotropic drugs, as well as all kinds of weapons, simulated weapons, controlled knives, ammunition and explosives are all prohibited from being brought into China. For more information, please refer to the following websites:

Decree of the General Administration of Customs of the People’s Republic of China (No.43) - Tables of Items Prohibited and Restricted from Entry/Exit: http://www.customs.gov.cn/publish/portal0/tab517/info10510.htm

Announcement of the General Administration of Customs of the People’s Republic of China (No. 46, 2013) - Interpretations on Issues Concerning Table of Items Prohibited from Entry/Exit and Table of Items Restricted from Entry/Exit: http://www.customs.gov.cn/publish/portal0/tab399/info623247.htm

3. Transport Information

Address: Pengjiaping Campus of Lanzhou University of Technology, 36 Pengjiaping Road, Qilihe District, Lanzhou, Gansu, China.

Tel: +86-931-2757776 

1. From Lanzhou Zhongchuan Airport to Pengjiaping Campus of LUT

STEP 1. Zhongchuan Airport to Lanzhouxi Raiway Station


STEP 2. Lanzhouxi Railway Station to Xizhan

BUS, NO.31/136/77,10 mins

STEP 3. Xizhan to Ligongda Xinxiaoqu

BUS, NO. 105/Q5, 20 mins

2. From Lanzhou Railway Station to Pengjiaping Campus of LUT

STEP 1, Lanzhou Railway Station to Xiguanshizi

BUS, NO. K102/118/33/137/9/31, 30 mins

STEP 2, Xiguanshizi to Ligongda Xinxiaoqu

BUS, NO. 105, 40 mins

4. Registration

Time: August 25-26, 2018

Venue: International Student Office, School of International Education, Lanzhou University of Technology.

*Note: If you fail to register within this time limit without the permission of the institution, you will be regarded as giving up this admission. Please contact the admission office to reserve your registration if there is any emergency.

5. Others

1) Chinese currency

The legal currency of China is RMB (¥). Its basic unit is yuan, which can be subdivided into jiao and fen: 1 yuan = 10 jiao, 1 jiao = 10 fen. Currently, the banknotes in use include 1 jiao, 5 jiao, 1 yuan, 5 yuan, 10 yuan, 20 yuan, 50 yuan, 100 yuan, and the coins in circulation include 1 jiao, 5 jiao and 1 yuan.

2) Convertible currencies & place for conversion

The following foreign currencies are convertible to RMB: GBP, USD, EUR, JPY, KRW, CAD, AUD, CHF, SGD, SEK, NOK, DKK, PHP and THB. For other currencies, you can first convert them into USD in your own country and then convert USD into RMB after entering China. For more information, please visit the official website of Bank of China: http://www.boc.cn/en/index.html

3) Allergen memo and anti-allergy drugs

Usually, allergy information is not marked on food packaging in China, so please be careful. It’s better for you to keep your allergy memo and prepare the relevant drugs.